Sampling from ground stone tools in Tohoku area

From November 11-12th (moving on 10th and 13th), we conducted our 4th surveys in Akita and Aomori Prefectures for our cooperative research project. 

Akita Prefectural Archaeological Center (URL: Japanese only) on 11th.

It was a snowy day.  

I took residue samples from 5 ground stone tools of the Ikenai site (latter half of Early Jomon) as well as 5 stones of the Horyo site (Middle Jomon). 

Sediment samples of the Ikenai site were also provided for our macrobotanical analysis. So we will compare these results with those of my starch residue analysis.




Korekawa Archaeological Institution Korekawa Jomon Kan on 12th.

Taking samples into the special storage facility
In my previous survey of the Korekawa-nakai site, I found some well-preserved starch granules from my sampled stone querns. In this survey, I took residue samples from 8 ground stone tools designated as nationally important cultural properties. 

Also, we went to see the present location of the Korekawa-nakai site. Most of artefacts are stored in the Korekawa Jomon Kan now, but some excavation archives including photos and figures are exhibited at the Hachinohe City Jomon Gakushu Kan near the Korekawa Jomon Kan.
Present view of the Korekawa-nakai site
Hachinohe City Jomon Gakushu Kan



On the floor of the entrance, acorns and horse chestnuts are just dried for future workshops. These trees were planted around this Hachinohe City Jomon Gakushu Kan based on the reconstructed vegetation of the Korekawa-Nakai site.

Indeed, I was able to take samples from many various stone tools for my analyses. And after discussing with our project members and researchers of the Korekawa Jomon Kan, I will observe pottery vessels, especially Ento-doki, in order to examine taphonomic problems of ancient starch in my next survey. What kind of results can I get from these samples? I'm very interested in these results personally.

Comments