IWGP17 in Paris

From July 6th (Wed) to 9th (Sat), I went to Paris for attending at the 17th conference of the International Work Group for Palaeoethnobotany. This conference was held in the Muséum national d’Histoire naturelle from 6th to 8th.

 














Thorough most of oral sessions, researchers were mainly talking about macrobotanical remains and plant cultivation, even though I attended just only on 7th and 8th. Very few researchers showed microbotanical analysing results.

Although my impression could be caused by my poor listening skill, some presentations emphasised just only macro- and microbotanical remains. I think we archaeobotanists need to think more about tools, pottery, and site information as well.

I presented my research results in Japan in the afternoon on 7th. The title was "Hunter-gatherer Exploitation of Wild Plant Foods during the Jomon Period in Japan". 











My most important result in this conference is that starch residue studies are still developping in central Europe, and that researchers in this area were interested in my methdology. We will start a new collaborative research project in the future.

In the evening of 7th, we had the conference dinner at La Coupole Paris.




























After finishing the conference, I went to see the Centre Georges Pompidou on 8th and the Musée d'Orsay on 9th.










I enjoyed modern arts and impressionist masterpieces at the both museums. Especially it was my second visit to the Musée d'Orsay since 2004 when I studied in the UK. I was so excited to see my favorite painting again. 
 









At the Musée d'Orsay, I had a little bit luxury lunch. 









Indeed, I was very stimulated with my joining in this IWGP17.

Comments